The empty surgical amphitheater at Maine General Hospital in 1895. Medical students, nurses, physicians and others would observe surgery from the steeply raked seats. There was an electric light available, but surgeons preferred natural light that streamed in from large windows partially hidden behind the seating on each side. Two oil lamp holders are still visible on the back wall. The fireplaces were used primarily for ventilation, to circulate air through the hospital.
Operating Room, Surgical Amphitheater, Surgery, Medical Equipment