Palliative care, Outpatients
We want to “die well” which includes:
• Effective symptom management
• Receiving care consistent with wishes Who achieves this, and how?
• Primary care physicians (PCPs) – Insufficient time and training
• Palliative care physicians – Better quality care and decreased health care cost in last years of life
• “Surprise Question” – “Would you be surprised if this patient dies in the next year?”
• To recognize our sickest patients and discuss goals of care and consult palliative care, if appropriate • “Advance care planning tab” – To record code status, advance directive, POLST forms, medical power of attorney
Letellier, Teresa; Haskins, Amy; and Holt, Christina, "What’s Happening to our Patients in their Final Year of Life?" (2019). Maine Medical Center. 697.